All About Fragrance: Tips on buying, applying and storing!

A fragrance is an accessory! It is definitely something that is not a “one size fits all” product and it will smell different on each individual person. These tips are all about fragrance and hopefully, they will be helpful for you in buying, applying, and storing your favorite bottles.

Check out all these tips all about fragrance if you are interested in learning about buying perfume, applying it correctly and how to store it to last.

All About Fragrance!

Tips for Buying Perfume.

• Perfume shop during the midday. Your senses are the sharpest at this time of day. Also, never shop with any perfumes/lotions on your body already.
  • Have you ever smelled so many perfumes your head just becomes one big perfume bottle? You can clear your head by using coffee beans.
  • When testing scents on your body always allow 15 minutes for your scent to truly develop before purchasing.

How to apply your fragrance.

• Let it develop… Spray your perfume 5-7 inches away from your body. Once it develops and releases the top notes after a few minutes you can spray again if it’s not strong enough. If your body is getting wet from your perfume you are spraying too close.
  • If you want a light scent and nothing too heavy, spray the air in front of you and walk through to lightly coat your skin and clothes.
  • Spray your pulse points. (behind the ears and knees, on your wrists, etc) Do not rub your wrists together, this will cause your perfume to dissolve and disappear.
  • Accidentally spray on too much? Use unscented hand sanitizer to lessen the scent, unscented lotion will work too. If all else fails, just take a shower!

Storing How to & Tips.

A perfume can stay fresh and strong (with true notes) anywhere from 1-8 years. Here are some tips to keeping it like the day you bought and loved it.

• Never keep your perfume in your bathroom! Humidity can alter a scent quickly.
  • The best place is somewhere dark, even the refrigerator. Yes! The refrigerator! It can lengthen a perfume by 50%. Just keep away from the butter and foods that like to absorb scents otherwise you may be eating scented butter. Eww!
  • Not open to the fridge? Me either! Another good place would be your bedroom, away from windows and lamps you use often. I have mine placed in my closet.

Do you have a favorite perfume?

If you enjoyed this All About Fragrance post then you might also enjoy…

Beauty Emergency Kit

Beauty Product Expiration Dates: Keep It or Toss It?

How to organize your nail polish collection!

This post contains affiliate links.

You may also like

Jayme and Mendi October 30, 2012 - 1:19 PM

You definitely have to wear the perfume for a bit to see if you like it. It’s amazing how perfumes react differently on different people.

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Melissa October 30, 2012 - 2:37 PM

I know… I thought for sure I would like La Viva Juicy (haha, I think thats the name… I can’t even remember) because everyone raves about it but to me it smells horrible.

xoxo,
Melissa

Beauty on a College budget October 30, 2012 - 5:55 PM

I always spray in the air, and on the back of my neck. My two absolute favorite perfumes D&G Rose the one, Taylor Swifts Wonderstruck, Versace’s Bright Crystal. All depending on the weather/where I’m going.

S&S October 30, 2012 - 7:33 PM

Hey:) great post really helpful.
thinking to buy some new perfumes!
Had to follow you!
xoxo

Melissa October 31, 2012 - 4:23 PM

Thanks so much for following. 🙂

xoxo,
Melissa

LeahJo October 30, 2012 - 9:12 PM

I have to go shopping for perfume soon. I recently got a sample of Kate Spade’s Twirl and loved it! great tips!

Melissa October 31, 2012 - 4:23 PM

I have never smelled that one. Will have to check it out. 🙂

xoxo,
Melissa

Jasmine October 31, 2012 - 2:12 AM

Wonderful tips, I also like to put a spray in my hair to make the scent last longer. And if there’s a lotion or shower gel available I love to “layer”. I have a lot of prefume and am always looking for more but my top five are: Boucheron, Coco Mademoiselle, Lovely by SJP, Bulgari Jasmine Noir, DKNY Delicious Night.

Melissa October 31, 2012 - 4:27 PM

I really like Lovely by SJP as well.

xoxo,
Melissa

Elle Sees October 31, 2012 - 1:12 PM

Thanks for sharing these tips! I swear everything smells nothing like the bottle on me. Found and following via the blog hop.

Melissa October 31, 2012 - 4:27 PM

Yeah, there have been a few that i’ve really loved in bottle and just hated on me. :/ bummer!

xoxo,
Melissa

Julia P F October 31, 2012 - 5:05 PM

I have worn Coco for years. I love it just as much now as I did then! Visitng from the friends and followers blog hop

Melissa November 1, 2012 - 4:15 PM

It’s crazy how you get hooked on one and it just becomes your signature scent.

xoxo,
Melissa

Shannon Chastaine October 31, 2012 - 5:16 PM

For the longest time my favorite perfume was YSL Paris until they changed the formula. I’ve had the hardest time finding anything new but I didn’t know to shop mid-day or to let the fragrance sit for a while. Thanks for the tips!

Melissa November 1, 2012 - 4:17 PM

Yeah, it’s good to let it sit for a bit because it mixes with your natural body scents and can change the smell which can be a good thing or bad thing in terms of whether you like it or not.

xoxo,