Weight Loss Tips Part 1: The Golden Rules

Weight Loss Tips Part 1: The Golden Rules
{picture source}

The Golden Rules of weight loss!

• Losing weight isn’t about just changing your eating habits and exercising habits for the amount of time it takes you to loss. It is about changing your lifestyle permanently otherwise the cycle is always up/down, up/down.

• Don’t skip meals! You won’t loss weight just because you didn’t eat. Your body will just hold on to your fat when it thinks you are starving itself. It also makes you eat more unhealthy things if you skip meals.

• Don’t grocery shop hungry. When you are hungry you tend to make impulse buys which leads to having a bag of chips, cookies, and soda at home that you never intended to get.

• Do shorter exercises daily instead of long exercises every few days, it’s more effective in the long run.

• Going along with the don’t skip meals is don’t eat too little. NEVER have less than 1200 calories. It slows down your metabolism and the one thing to losing weight healthily is having a good metabolism.

• An ideal weight loss weekly is 1 to 2 1/2 lbs a week. If you are losing it faster than that you need to reevaluate the ways you are losing the weight and if it is healthy. *note* your first week or two of weight loss tends to be more and that’s ok as well the more you have to loss can also relate to whether you loss more weekly. An avg amount though should be 1 to 2 1/2 lbs a week.

• Dieting alone isn’t enough, exercise is also key to getting you fit and toned.

• You don’t have to cut out foods you love all together just because they may not be the best for you. Moderation is key!!

• Did you slip up and eat something bad today. It’s not the end all to your weight loss plan and you don’t have to blow your whole day. Make better choices at your next meal and move on.

• Pick a weigh in day and weigh yourself ONCE a week not daily. Your weight WILL fluctuate from day to day. You set yourself up for failure when you see the scale up and down. A good start day and weigh in day I always liked was Wednesdays. It is in the middle of the week so if I stumble on the weekend I have a few days to make up for it. 😉

You may also like

Gaye Christmus January 8, 2013 - 5:53 PM

Found your blog from the Not Just a Housewife hop. I wrote many of the same things about weight loss on my blog yesterday! Good luck with your weight loss efforts in the new year.

Melissa January 8, 2013 - 6:08 PM

Thanks Gaye! 🙂

xoxo,
Melissa

Chrissy January 8, 2013 - 5:59 PM

Hi! Stopping by from Naptime Review blog hop and excited to be a new follower! I have a new Social Media Linky party that started today, I would love to have you link up!!

Thanks!
Chrissy

Melissa January 8, 2013 - 6:09 PM

Thanks for stopping in and following Chrissy. I will definitely stop by your link up and join in.

xoxo,
Melissa

RachieCakes January 8, 2013 - 9:09 PM

These are great tips! I need to stop weighing myself everyday for sure!

xo Rach

Melissa January 8, 2013 - 9:24 PM

It is so hard not to weigh yourself daily. I usually have to put away my scales and just drag them out on weigh in day because it’s too tempting otherwise. But, when your body fluctuates (and it will) it bums you out to see the numbers go up some days.

xoxo,
Melissa

Lizzums - BeneBelle January 9, 2013 - 8:22 PM

Great post! I’m guilty of weighing myself too much. I change by like.. half a stone in a day D: Lost a stone so far though so… yay!

Lizzums x

Melissa January 9, 2013 - 10:57 PM

I’m guilty too. I usually just have to put my scales away otherwise it’s too tempting. Congrats on your accomplisments so far. 🙂

xoxo,
Melissa

SchneiderPeeps January 14, 2013 - 3:49 PM

Stopping by from The Gunny Sack. Great reminders…thanks for sharing.

Melissa January 14, 2013 - 6:48 PM

Thanks! 🙂

xoxo,
Melissa

Carissa Rasmussen January 14, 2013 - 7:51 PM

great tips! i think everyone is ready for this after the holidays!

Melissa January 20, 2013 - 6:23 PM

I know I definitely am.

xoxo,
Melissa

Mo January 19, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reminder about not weighing myself daily! I’ve never paid much attention to my weight until the last year or so and I have been discouraged in the last few weeks as I’ve been trying to be healthier that I wasn’t seeing changes everday. Just unrealistic! I’ll go to a weekly weigh-in now.

Melissa January 20, 2013 - 6:24 PM

It really is tempting to weight daily but really it just beats you down because you weight will fluctuate no matter what. It can get defeating when you see it go up by a few points so definitely stick to a once a week the best you can.

xoxo,
Melissa

Ruby Showalter February 17, 2014 - 2:58 PM

Excellent tips! I tend to be obsessive about weighing myself, so I’ll try to do that less often. I’m part of the Blogging Buddy Group. Nice to meet you here!

Melissa Coleman February 17, 2014 - 4:01 PM

Hey Ruby, thanks for stopping by. I know what you mean about weighing yourself constantly. It can definitely turn into a bad habit. I usually have to put the scales away and only drag them out once a week. It helps when its not staring you in the face.

Manisha Manimatters February 18, 2014 - 4:59 AM

Great tips. I am working on my weight management