This easy southern meatloaf recipe is made quick and easy with just a few simple ingredients but with a whole lot of tasty flavor.
When you are seeking a comforting dish then this no-fail, tender, and juicy simple meatloaf with the perfect ketchup glaze is the classic dish you are looking for. It has been viewed and made over 130,000+ times since being posted here on Today’s Creative and still never disappoints.
This traditional southern style meatloaf is just like grandma used to make with no fussy steps or exotic ingredients. Just a purely simple and perfectly seasoned version that you remember from back when you were little.
For me, this is one of my mom’s recipes that I love and loved growing up. It is now one of my own family’s favorite ground burger recipes as well.
This classic ground beef recipe is simple with only 5 basic ingredients but with loads of flavor and yumminess.
If you have been looking for a super juicy and flavorful comfort food dinner dish that your family would love, definitely give this one a try.
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 lbs Hamburger
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Bread Crumbs (1 heaping Tablespoon)
- Onion (1 small onion or half a medium)
- Ketchup (Approx. 1/2 cup)
How to make an easy meatloaf recipe with few ingrdients!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix hamburger meat and egg together in a bowl.
- Add in the breadcrumbs and chopped onion, mix until combined.
- Add in Ketchup, combining thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Cook on the center rack until the loaf is brown and crusted (Approx 1 hr to 1 hr 15 mins)
- Pour off grease every 30 minutes, unless you have a raised meatloaf pan which I highly recommend.
- This is optional but I like to add some extra ketchup during the last 15 mins as an extra glaze. So yummy!
The best way to mix everything is by hand. It gets a little messy but it works. I suggest removing your rings beforehand.
I like to use ground chuck hamburger meat so, in turn, it does produce grease that needs to be drained during the cooking process.
You will have to pour off the grease unless, of course, you have a raised meatloaf pan, which actually comes in handy.
You, of course, could also use leaner burger meat, however, I definitely think you will lose a little flavor by doing it that way.
It is also probably important to note that when I am making this southern meatloaf recipe I place the meatloaf pan on a cookie sheet baking pan. Just in case of a boil-over of juices, we don’t want to have to clean up the oven afterward. Nobody has time for that!
I am in love with this awesome meatloaf pan. I use to check the meatloaf every 20 minutes to pour off the grease, which is a must if you don’t own one of these. This saves me from doing all of that.
How to keep Meatloaf from falling apart
This is the importance of the egg and breadcrumbs so they act as binders to hold the meat together.
Can I freeze meatloaf?
Yes, you will want to freeze before cooking. The meat would dry out if reheated from cooked. So you will want to combine the mixture as instructed, form it into a loaf and wrap the shaped loaf in plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze meatloaf for up to 3 months. Your frozen meatloaf needs to bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr and 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees. If you allow it to thaw the night before it will probably only take 45-60 minutes to heat.
Even More Dinner Recipes:
- Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole
- Amazing Summer Burger Recipes
- Healthy Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- French Onion Smothered Pork Chops
Want to print or save this easy meatloaf recipe?