Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole is the perfect quick and easy dinner to throw together on a busy night. It will hit the spot!
A cheesy, ground beef recipe that is creamy and delicious and perfect for dinner tonight. A recipe that the whole family is going to love!
Having a busy weekday schedule means quick-fix dinners are a must. Busy moms and dads mean busy nights and having an easy meal is always a great idea.
If you have kids you know what I mean, but even if you don’t have kids there are plenty of nights when you don’t want to cook a full meal with sides.
Sure we could run out and grab fast food but it’s still cheaper and better for you to cook meals at home. That is the beauty of these easy casseroles.
Some of the easiest and cheapest dinners are one-dish meals and we are certainly a fan of them in our family.
I hope that this delicious recipe will become a new family favorite for you too.
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- Convenience: Casseroles are a convenient way to make a one-dish meal that can be prepared in advance, making them ideal for busy weeknights or for meal prep.
- Comfort food: Hamburger hashbrown casserole is a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed by many people. It’s warm, hearty, and satisfying.
- Versatility: Ground beef hashbrown casserole can be customized with different ingredients and spices, so you can make it your own. You can add vegetables, cheese, or other proteins to create a dish that suits your tastes.
- Crowd-pleaser: Hamburger hash brown casserole is a dish that is sure to please a crowd. It’s easy to make in large quantities, making it ideal for potlucks, family gatherings, or parties.
- Leftovers: It makes great leftovers that can be enjoyed for days after it’s made. It’s a great way to stretch your food budget and save time on meal prep.
Ingredients you will need for this easy recipe:
- 2 lbs. ground chuck hamburger (you can use lean ground beef if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese – we use mild cheddar (plus extra optional)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 package of hash browns (20 oz, thawed)
- salt & black pepper to taste
Directions for making Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole
First, you want to start off by browning your hamburger meat in a large skillet on medium heat, and as well go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
If you like to season your ground beef while cooking we enjoy this homemade taco seasoning.
Mix together in a large bowl the cheese, cream of chicken soup, milk, melted butter, salt, and pepper, then add the hash browns.
Once you have all of this thoroughly mixed, layer the browned hamburger meat in a 9×13 pan and spread the mixture on top of the burger.
You can add extra cheese on top of the casserole dish if you choose at this point and then cook in your preheated oven for approximately 1 hour.
The dish will be ready when your potatoes are golden brown.
I will be honest when I say this dish doesn’t look fancy and is quite hard to photograph but it is certainly a tasty one that you won’t want to miss out on trying.
I feel like it is a great addition to any meal planning menu and it is more or less easy on the grocery budget.
Not a ground beef lover? No problem… The best thing about casseroles, in general, is that they pretty much all have a few basic ingredients.
You can even use this basic hash brown casserole with meat recipe and just change up the meat to your desired preference.
All casseroles contain…
- the main ingredient
- secondary ingredients
- a starch
- a binder
- and a topping
The main ingredient is usually some type of protein like hamburger meat, chicken, or tuna.
There are lots of options for a secondary ingredient, you can just pick your favorite vegetable but here are a few extra ideas for ingredients you can add or adjust in this recipe.
- red peppers
- green beans
- diced onions (or you could add in onion powder)
The starch is simple enough to add, pick something like potatoes (tater tots), pasta, or rice and choose a binder such as cream of chicken plus a little extra milk, sour cream, or water so it’s not too dry.
The last is topping it with something delicious like cheese or crackers.
A simple formula to have quick and easy meals just the way you like.
A great way to create the best combination that works for your family.
Can I cook this Hashbrown Hamburger Casserole in the Slow Cooker?u003cbru003e
Yes, you can! First, you will want to brown the ground beef mixture and drain.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThen mix all the ingredients, including the beef together, and cook in the crockpot on high for approximately 3 hours or on low for around 6.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eTop with your leftover cheese at the last 5 minutes of cooking time.u003cbru003eu003cbru003e
What should I serve with this Cheesy Ground Beef and Hashbrown Casserole?
u003cbru003eu003cbru003eBecause this dish is very filling we usually either eat it as a one-dish style of meal or we will serve it with a simple refreshing side salad.u003cbru003eu003cbru003e
Can I use frozen hashbrowns instead of fresh ones?
u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYes, you can use frozen hashbrowns instead of fresh ones. Just make sure to thaw them completely before using them in the casserole.u003cbru003eu003cbru003e
Can I prepare the casserole in advance?
u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYes, you can prepare the casserole in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Just make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.u003cbru003eu003cbru003e
Can I freeze the casserole?
u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYes, you can freeze the casserole for up to 2-3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing. To reheat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and bake in the oven until heated through.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eu003cbru003e
Want to print or save this hamburger hash brown casserole recipe?
Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus more for topping, optional
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.5 oz
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 package of hash browns 20oz
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown hamburger meat.
- Mix cheese, soup, milk, melted butter, salt, and pepper together then add in the hash browns.
- Once you have all of this mixed, layer the hamburger in a 9×13 pan and then spread the mixture on top of the burger.
- Top with more cheese if you desire and cook at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour.