I bet the first thing you think of when you read chia seed is the chia "pet" right? You know those terra-cotta plant holders in the shape of an animal and in more recent years all sorts of characters.
Why yes these are the same seeds used to grow those. Yet, they have so many more beneficial uses.
Did you know that chia seeds have 5 times more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach, more fiber than oatmeal, more potassium than bananas. The list goes on and I think you get the point.
They are so much more enriched with nutrients than all of these already great items. It is quite amazing considering they are just tiny little seeds. The best thing about them is the fact that they can be incorporated into all kinds of meals and not change the flavoring hardly at all.
So you can add them to your salads, cereal, yogurt just about everything.
Now that you know why they are great nutritious wise here are a few other reasons why we should all be having some chia seeds in our diet.
Chia Seed Benefits
1. They support hydration! They absorb 10-15 times their weight in water so they are great at keeping you hydrated. This is the most interesting fact for me because I have a daughter who rides the line of dehydration a lot because she is a sipper. I have to stay on her constantly about getting enough fluids. If you live an active life maybe think about adding some chia seeds to your diet.
2. Great in Omega 3 Fatty Acids! That means if you already take fish oils to get your fatty acids in and are constantly burping up a gross fishy after taste then stop what you are doing and go get you some chia seeds. For my beauty lovers, that means they are great for glowing skin and shiny hair! For my joint pain sufferers, that means they are great in anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Natural Energy Booster! Because they have more potassium than bananas and more protein than nuts it just makes sense that these little seeds are great for giving you a boost of energy.
4. Helps in weight loss! Going back to be great hydration storage. They keep you feeling full much longer than other quick snacks.
5. Natural Cleanser! This is another problem my daughter has and she takes it after her dad. They have the worst digestive systems. That is why I love chia seeds. They work as a natural regulator and helps clean out your system. For someone who had to have their daughter on Miralax daily for the longest time having something not medicinal to help that problem is a preferred option.
I just touched the surface on how great these little seeds are but they have so many other uses like health and beauty uses in homemade exfoliation and masks, uses in foods as substitutes and of course as decorative purposes in what we all have known them for in chia pets.
Important Note: There are some cautions you need to take before deciding to join the wagon and adding them to your diet. If you are allergic or sensitive to mustard seeds then you should NOT use chia seeds. These two come from the same family line. They are natural blood thinners so stay away from them if you are already on blood thinner or if you are having surgery discuss the usage with your doctor. They are high in fiber so you will have to see how it works with your body. If you tend to get bloated or gassy then cut back on the amount you are using. The biggest of all, read your labels! Don't buy seeds processed from China. They are not FDA approved! You know your body best so just watch for signs of allergic reactions, dizziness from low blood pressure, etc.
If you enjoyed these chia seed benefits you might also enjoy...
8 Health & Beauty Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar