Just buy a house? Check out these must have tools for homeowners. You may already own all of these basic tools and if you do then awesome you are ahead of the ballgame. However, if you don’t then these will be the basic tools you need to complete easy and simple projects around your home. Even if you are not a homeowner these tools are great for those who live in a rental as well. Although we have owned twice previously in the past we currently rent and use these tools often.
Must have tools for homeowners!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B007KC0TFW” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Screwdrivers[/easyazon_link]
First and foremost to do all kinds of basic repairs you are going to need screwdrivers. Which means you will need to pick up one that is Philips head (x-shaped) and one that is Flathead. Then there are different sizes for each type. A good screwdriver set should include multiple sizes for each. Such as a small, medium and large. There are also [easyazon_link identifier=”B008TM1910″ locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]precision screwdrivers[/easyazon_link] that come in handy for the tiny screws on glasses, kids toys, etc.
“If you teach your children nothing else, teach them the Golden Rule and righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.” ―Robert Brault
2. [easyazon_link identifier=”B00002X2GQ” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Tape Measure[/easyazon_link]
A tape measure can be good for all sorts of things. Whether you are measuring to fit for new furniture or trying to hang pictures up in your new home.
3. [easyazon_link identifier=”B000BQR7TU” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Level[/easyazon_link]
I can not tell you how many times we use a level around here. A small basic level will allow you to make sure that whatever you put up is straight and well level.
4. [easyazon_link identifier=”B000VSSG2K” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Hammer[/easyazon_link]
Well this one is pretty obvious. Hammer’s can come in handy for all sorts of things. Even busting those pecans for your next pecan pie.
“If at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger hammer.” ―Alan Lewis
5. Adjustable [easyazon_link identifier=”B000NIK9S2″ locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Wrenches[/easyazon_link] and [easyazon_link identifier=”B000M2GHUS” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Pliers[/easyazon_link]
Whether you want to assemble some furniture or need to replace a faucet adjustable wrenches and a good set of pliers will definitely be of some use. Each job will probably require a different size tool so getting some that are adjustable will be your best bet. They also offer these in kits which can save you money.
6. [easyazon_link identifier=”B00002X204″ locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Utility Knife[/easyazon_link]
Utility knives can do all sorts of things from opening all those moving boxes to mail packages and everything in between. I also really enjoy the [easyazon_link identifier=”B00UM63EAA” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Wiss scissors[/easyazon_link] too.
7. [easyazon_link identifier=”B006E0QAFY” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Flashlight[/easyazon_link]
If you have to do any work under the sinks, under the house or even if the electricity goes out you will want a flashlight. You might even want more than one.
8. [easyazon_link identifier=”B005STFKGM” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Safety glasses[/easyazon_link]
Because what are we all taught? Safety is our first concern!
9. [easyazon_link identifier=”B000NNK8DI” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Puddy Knife[/easyazon_link]
If you plan to do any painting right away then a puddy knife will be very useful. It’s great for filling holes before painting and comes in handy for scrapping old paint as well.
10. [easyazon_link identifier=”B003EYVF7G” locale=”US” tag=”thgisli03-20″]Ladder[/easyazon_link]
You don’t have to have the biggest ladder but having at least a step stool of some sort will be nice. This will be put to good use when you need to reach a lightbulb, painting so that you can reach the trim work, etc.
Let me know… Is there any other must have tools for homeowners you use that I didn’t mention?