This homemade playdough recipe is perfect for entertaining children, especially during these cold winter days. Loads of fun that takes less than 10 minutes for one batch.
*This post contains affiliate links.
It has been so cold lately that outdoor activities have been few and far between. So that means we needed new fun ideas for winter crafts. Homemade playdough to the rescue. Not only is it fun to make the playdough in and of itself but of course, a lot of fun to play with as well.
This homemade playdough recipe is incredibly simple and you can have a bunch of batches ready to be rolled out and cut into shapes within 30 minutes. You also only need a few common kitchen ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Which is great since the whole point is not having to go out in this cold weather. But if you do it will be a super quick in and out.
So what do you need?
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons [easyazon_link identifier=”B0054M0U18″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”thgisli03-20″]cream of tartar[/easyazon_link]
- 1/3 cup salt (Yes… cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00KCUXRLC” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”thgisli03-20″]food coloring[/easyazon_link] (a variety of colors)
Sift together in a medium-sized saucepan your flour, cream of tartar and salt. Once that is mixed pour in your cup of water and tablespoon of vegetable oil. Heat on medium while continuously stirring the mix together. It is okay if it gets a little lumpy, that is to be expected.
Keep stirring the mixture until it starts to become more of a solid. This should take approximately 1-3 minutes. At this point, you will want to add your food coloring. Be sure to do this before it becomes too solid as the food coloring won’t mix near as well.
Now that you have playdough colored you will want to continue stirring until it starts to pull up from the bottom of the pan and gather around the spoon. At this point, your homemade playdough recipe is done. Remove it from the saucepan and allow to cool.
Once cooled you can then knead the dough for a few minutes to get out any extra lumps and bumps.
Now you are all ready to get your play on!
Homemade Playdough Recipe Notes:
- Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups of playdough or approximately 4 times as much as a store-bought brand.
- This playdough is non-toxic and will not leave stains on your hands.
- Gel food coloring works best for bright beautiful colors.
- If it still seems sticky after cooling allow it to reheat a little longer.
Looking for some fun things to use with your homemade playdough? Check out these fun tools and gadgets.
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B017X3OKCA” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” src=”https://todayscreativeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/51gRcwgOdTL.SL160.jpg” tag=”thgisli03-20″ width=”160″]
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B00WS08IC2″ locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” src=”https://todayscreativeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/51QumLIG25L.SL160.jpg” tag=”thgisli03-20″ width=”160″]