Indulge in the Sweetness of Summer with a Delectable Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake!
Are you ready for the warmer days of summer and the abundance of luscious strawberries?
If so, it’s time to treat your taste buds to a delightful easy dessert that combines the classic flavors of strawberry shortcake with a modern twist – a strawberry shortcake poke cake!
This easy-to-make recipe is perfect for any summer occasion, from picnics to backyard barbecues.
With its stunning presentation and irresistible taste, it will surely impress your family and friends.
So, grab your apron, get some fresh strawberries, and try this recipe to experience the irresistible charm of a strawberry shortcake poke cake!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- Easy to Make: This recipe starts with a cake mix, making it incredibly convenient and fuss-free. With just a few simple steps, you can create a stunning dessert that looks and tastes like a masterpiece.
- Bursting with Sweet Strawberry Flavor: The juicy strawberries seep into the cake, infusing it with their natural sweetness, and creating a delightful contrast with the creamy whipped topping.
- Beautiful Presentation: The poke cake technique creates a visually stunning dessert with the strawberry filling peeking through the holes in the cake and the whipped cream topping swirled on top. It’s a show-stopping treat that will impress your guests and make you feel like a baking pro!
- Perfect for Summer: With fresh berries being in season during the summer months, this strawberry shortcake poke cake is the ultimate dessert to celebrate the flavors of the season. It’s light, refreshing, and perfect for enjoying on warm days or serving at summer gatherings like picnics, barbecues, or potlucks.
- Customizable: This recipe is versatile, and you can easily customize it to your liking. You can try using different types of cake mix, such as vanilla, and experiment with other fruit fillings like blueberries or raspberries.
- Make-Ahead Dessert: This delicious cake can be made ahead of time, making it a convenient dessert for busy days or special occasions. You can assemble the cake a day in advance, chill it in the refrigerator, and it will be ready to serve when needed, allowing you to focus on other preparations.
Simple ingredients to make strawberry poke cake without jello
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup strawberry syrup (ice cream or pancake syrup)
- 8 ounces whipped topping (cool whip), thawed
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups fresh whole strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
8 ounces of whipped topping creates a very thin layer in the pan, if you want it to be extra creamy, go ahead and double the whipped topping!
Equipment you will need:
- 9×13 baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer (or stand mixer)
How to make a Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake!
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 pan.
In a large bowl, prepare the cake by mixing together the cake mix, half and half, vegetable oil, and eggs.
Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds, then increase it to medium speed for 2 minutes.
Pour batter into a greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out moist, but clean. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes.
Use the handle of a wooden spoon or wooden skewer to poke holes into the top of the cake.
Space the holes about 1 inch apart, but you only need to press into the cake about 2/3 of the way.
Pour the strawberry syrup into the holes. The holes don’t need to be filled up as the syrup will soak into the cake, but make sure you get all of the holes.
Allow the cake to finish cooling completely, about 35 or so more minutes, before spreading the whipped topping on top of the cake.
Prepare the strawberry sauce by mixing the jam and sugar together. After it is mixed, combine it with the strawberries until fully covered.
Store the sauce and cake separately until ready to serve. This keeps well for several days if kept in a sealed airtight container in the fridge.
Can I use a different type of cake mix?
Yes, you can use a different type of box cake mix, such as vanilla or yellow cake mix, if you prefer. The strawberry filling and whipped cream topping will still complement the cake, regardless of the flavor. You can get creative and experiment with different cake mixes to customize the flavor of your poke cake.
Can I make the cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake ahead of time. I would keep the strawberry topping separate but you can refrigerate the cake for several hours or overnight before serving. This makes it a convenient make-ahead dessert for special occasions or gatherings.
Can I use homemade whipped cream instead of store-bought whipped topping?
Yes, you can use homemade whipped cream instead of store-bought whipped topping. Simply whip heavy cream with sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Homemade whipped cream adds a fresher flavor and a lighter texture to the cake, but be sure to keep it refrigerated until ready to serve. It will also not last as long as store-bought when storing so keep that in mind.
Even more delicious poke cakes!
More strawberry recipes that are perfect for summer!