You no longer have to wait to get these Apple Pie Caramel Apples at Disneyland. You can create the perfect, taste-like fall, apple at home with this delicious recipe and step-by-step tutorial.
Bring the magic to your kitchen!!
Not only is this a copycat version of the famous Disney apples but this yummy treat is also very similar to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Caramel Apples.
A tart green apple covered in gooey caramel, coated with sweet white chocolate, and topped with crumbled pie crust and cinnamon sugar; that is the perfect balance of tangy and sweet if you ask me.
Definitely a must-try!!
Ingredients you will need:
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 4 Popsicle sticks
- 11 ounces soft caramels (you could also make homemade caramel if you choose)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 premade pie crust + 1 tablespoon butter (or you can use 6 cinnamon sugar graham crackers instead)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 ounces white melting chocolate or almond bark
How to make Apple Pie Caramel Apples
If you are planning to use pie crust as we do in this recipe you will need to follow these first few steps. If not and you are going to use the graham crackers you can skip to the next step.
- Preheat your oven to 370°F
- Unfold the pie crust and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and spread onto the pie crust using a pastry brush until just wet. Don’t put too much butter on.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Use your hands to sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture onto the buttered pie crust. Transfer the remaining cinnamon mixture to a shaker for later.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Continue onto the next steps while baking the pie crust.
Wash the granny smiths with warm water and a scrub brush. Dry thoroughly. Once dry you can prep them with a popsicle stick in the center of each apple.
Add wax paper to a second baking pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Add caramels and water to a microwave-safe small bowl. Melt for 30-second increments, stirring between each session, until melted and smooth.
Dip the apples into the caramel. Use a spoon to help cover the apple if needed.
Use a knife to run across the bottom of the apple to remove extra caramel.
Repeat for remaining apples.
Place the caramel apples on the prepared wax sheet and then place them in the fridge for about an hour.
Just before removing apples from the fridge, crush the pie crust in the food processor. Remove any large crumbles from the mixture.
If you are using graham cracker crumbs instead you can go ahead and prep those at this point too.
Remove the cold apples from the fridge. Cut off extra caramel that has puddled at the base of the apple.
Melt the white chocolate for 30-second increments, stirring between sessions until melted.
Dip the caramel apples into the chocolate and usin a spoon if needed to help cover the apple with the chocolate.
Shake any extra chocolate off, and place them back onto the wax paper.
Shake the reserved cinnamon sugar mixture onto the top of the apple. Allow the chocolate to sit for a minute.
Take the coated apple and roll the base of the apple into the pie (or cracker) crumbs.
Repeat for remaining apples.
Allow the apples to set. You can place the apple pie caramel apples in the fridge until about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Be sure to remove the finished apples from the fridge about 30 minutes to an hour before serving or it will be really hard to bite into.
Why are Granny Smith apples traditionally used for caramel apples?
Because they are tart apples and that makes them the best choice for complimenting the sweetness of caramel. They are also often the most affordable apple choice which allows makers to keep cost low but still with a super yummy treat.
Should you refridgerate these Apple Pie Caramel Apples?
Yes, If you want to keep the best taste and firmness for as long as possible it is recommended that you refrigerate these apples, including any type of caramel apples, store-bought or otherwise.
How long will these apples last in the fridge?
They should stay fresh up to 1 week in the fridge, much past that point your apple will start to turn.
Even more delicious fall treats!
- Caramel Apple Bark – Easy 4 Ingredients!
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Baked Apple Pie “Cinnamon” Rolls with Crumble Topping
- Apple Cider Floats – Transitional Summer to Fall Dessert
- Homemade Apple Butter – Cooked as a slow cooker recipe!
- Best Fall Desserts – Our favorites you have got to try!
- How to make homemade fair food recipes!
- How to make Donut Hole Acorns!
- Cute Thanksgiving Desserts! Easy Recipe Ideas
- Caramel Apple Taquitos
Want to print or save this recipe?