It's time to get ready for the summer holidays and nothing says summer like a little patriotic popsicle stick American flag craft for kids.
It's a great red, white, and blue kid craft that works perfectly for honoring those who served for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Flag Day, or a Veteran's Day craft too.
Just a fun and easy little craft to create with your kids while out of school.
There are even instructions on how to turn it into a magnet and hang it on your fridge proudly.
So let's spend some time indoors this weekend making these super cute and cheap to make Craft Stick American Flags.
If you have stuck around on Today's Creative Ideas long enough then you know we love popsicle stick crafts around here. They are easy enough that any kid can make, no matter what their age.
So that makes them great for preschool, vacation bible school, homeschool craft, and more.
How to make an American Flag out of Popsicle Sticks!
Supplies you will need:
- Popsicle Sticks (8)
- Craft Paint (red, white, and blue)
- Cardstock or Cardboard
- Craft Glue
- Paint Brushes
Directions for creating a popsicle stick American flag craft
1. Start off first by painting 4 craft sticks white and 4 craft sticks red.
2. Once the sticks are dry, paint a portion of 2 red and 2 white sticks blue. Allow drying!
3. Turn over (caution: be sure you reverse the order so it turns out right when flipped... not that I did that wrong or anything the first time.. haha) and glue on your card stock/cardboard backing.
4. Hand paint, stamp or use stickers for your stars. (not shown in steps picture)
5. This step is optional but we sanded ours a little with sandpaper just to give it that aged flag look.
6. Lastly, attach a magnet to the back of your flag. We used a one .75 inch adhesive magnet to hold it up.
Interesting Flag Facts:
Why do we have a Flag Day?
People across the United States celebrate Flag Day on June 14 each year to honor the United States flag and to commemorate the flag's adoption.
On this same day, the United States Army celebrates its birthday.
What does the United States flag stand for?
While I imagine the vast majority of our American readers know exactly what the flag stands for that isn't necessarily the case for our international readers.
If you have wondered then here is the breakdown.
The 50 stars represent the 50 states and 13 stripes represent the original 13 colonies.
The colors in the flag are white (purity), Red (valor), Blue (justice).
If you enjoyed this popsicle stick American flag craft then you also might enjoy our other 4th of July favorites.
- 4th of July Coloring Pages
- Popsicle Stick Bald Eagle
- Popsicle Stick Uncle Sam
- How to Make Tie Dye Tshirts for 4th of July
- Patriotic Flag Brownies
- Patriotic Pretzel Rods | Pretzel Sparklers
- Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Strawberries
- Patriotic Charcuterie Board
- 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 4th of July Firecracker Craft
Want to save or print these instructions?